Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Teacher Appreciation Week: Classroom Bouquet

Did you know that there are only 3 weeks until Teacher Appreciation Week? Did you know there was such a thing as Teacher Appreciation Week? "Teacher Appreciation Week is a week long celebration in the United States observed the first full week in May. Teacher Appreciation Day is the Tuesday that falls during Teacher Appreciation Week." Whether you knew or didn't know...this is the time to show appreciation to the Teachers in your life.

If you have kids...be THANKFUL for your Teachers! Just imagine...they have your children...and about 20 more of them ALL DAY LONG. When was the last time you were trapped inside on a rainy day with 20+ kids? Believe me, Teachers deserve our appreciation!

Before I had my own children, I used to teach. Well...I used to be a classroom Teacher. I definitely teach now...I just get paid in hugs and kisses instead of an actual paycheck. (I prefer the hugs and kisses!) I can tell you from experience that the work of a teacher is never finished! I was ALWAYS working on something for my classroom. And yes, there is Summer Vacation, but I spent mine planning and working to make the next year better. I was even known to teach in my sleep! And yes, that was out loud. Embarrassing! My point is, teaching is a hard and consuming job...take a bit of time to show them you care.

Our school has a bit of a tradition for Teacher Appreciation Week...a classroom bouquet. I had never heard of this before my daughter started school. There is a designated day of the week that each child is supposed to bring in a single flower for their teacher. The Room Mom waits outside of the classroom and collects the flowers as each child arrives, and then arranges them into a "Classroom Flower Arrangement." Living in Southern California we get some of the most beautiful flowers straight for their own gardens. They are beautiful! And it is interesting to see what type of flower each child chooses to bring in. This was our classroom bouquet from last year...


Each flower was just as beautiful and unique as each child in the class. No two classrooms are alike and no two classroom bouquets ever look alike either. It is beautiful!

For those of you who don't have young children...bear with me for the next week or so as I share ideas for Teacher Appreciation Week. Use the ideas for someone else who could use a bit of cheer or show your appreciation to other Teachers you have in your life. Maybe it is a friend who teaches who could use a note saying how much you respect them for the job they do each day. Maybe you have a friend who Homeschool's her children and needs an extra bit of encouragement for the job she does. I encourage you to take some time to say THANK YOU to a Teacher sometime May 7-11...they are shaping our future each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love to get comments! Drop me a note and let me hear what you think. Thanks. -Heidi