Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wonderful Wednesday...Annual Flower Show

One of the great things about living in a small community are the small town events that take place every year. This year was the 87th Annual Flower Show. 87th!! That blows my mind. That means the first Flower Show took place in 1925. Do you know what the world was like in 1925? Calvin Coolidge became the first President to have his inauguration broadcast on radio...not tv, not on the internet...the radio!

This was the first year that both of my kids were able to enter a flower arrangement in the Kids Division. Last year my daughter entered 2 categories and got a 1st and 2nd Place ribbon. She was THRILLED. From the last day of the show in 2011, she knew what she was going to do this year. I knew it was a good idea, actually a GREAT idea. I just hoped it was good enough for the "BIG ribbon" she had been hoping for...you never know.

Each category is divided between age groups. Each piece is scored on a number scale, so there can be numerous 1st Place ribbons. Once those 1st place ribbons are given, those entries are then pooled to find an overall 1st Place in the category...aka a "BIG ribbon." Then the "BIG ribbon" entries are judged against each other for an overall winner who gets a trophy. Here is my daughter's entry:


I was impressed! I am pretty creative. But I would never have come up with this idea! The flowers were her paint pallet. I know I am a bit biased, but I thought it was GENIUS! The judges thought she did a pretty good job too:


The small green ribbon is for 1st Place. The green and yellow ribbon was her coveted "BIG ribbon"...and it was also for 1st Place. The little trophy represents the big one she has her name on at the Library. She was OVER THE MOON with excitement! She had never even thought of winning a trophy! I think I am in big trouble for next year!

She also entered a miniature flower arrangement:


They have to be no larger than 5 inches in all directions, which is a lot more difficult than it sounds. She was pretty pleased with another 1st Place ribbon!

I was pretty surprised that he cared, but the day before the show my little guy decided he wanted to enter too. He is very opinionated and was set on making an arrangement with Bird of Paradise flowers. He literally spent less than 5 minutes creating his arrangement. He dropped the flowers in piece by piece and was done.


A 1st Place ribbon and a "BIG ribbon" for 2nd Place...only behind his sister...not bad for 5 minutes of effort! Of course, there was a bit of envy because she had won a trophy. Lucky me! Despite doing an amazing job, I think he was mainly concerned that she had beat him. Aaah...sibling rivalry at its finest. I'm sure there won't be any sibling rivalry next year!

1 comment:

  1. Those are beautiful - very creative kids!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to get comments! Drop me a note and let me hear what you think. Thanks. -Heidi